Friday, March 25, 2011

English Coffee - an oxymoron I have come to dread.

We were warned that the English didn't really understand about coffee. But being warned and living with it are two different things.
They just do not get it. The coffee is tasteless, the beans stale. Quite upmarket cafes still serve filter coffee, or plunger coffee, less upmarket places sell instant.
But the thing that has fascinated me (a good distraction from wanting to scream in the middle of many a cafe) is the way they make latte.

 The very patient lady behind the counter at Wells Cathedral Cafe was perplexed as to why I wanted to photograph her making our lattes. They fluff/heat the milk, then pour the 'coffee' into it.
It takes on this layered look. It is almost always served in these tall glass mugs (handles are turned away from camera). Yes I know that having coffee so milky is not very staunch, but at home a latte or flat white TASTES OF COFFEE too.
If you order a flat white, you usually get a black coffee and a jug of steamed milk.
*sigh* Mojos I hope you are ready for our landing at Wellington Airport. No sweeter welcome could I have!

1 comment:

  1. This post made me smile - I had no idea we failed at coffee :D I think maybe we put far too much of our effort into making and drinking tea!!

    ReplyDelete