Thursday, April 30, 2015

Teeny, tiny Peacock and BIG costume!

The peacock is done! He is very blingy which is a good thing!
He is based on a white bird with a long white feather tail. Said bird got coated in Mod Podge then green glitter, before being covered in rhinestones, sequins, and the tiny eyes cut out of the main fabric. I eschewed making the lovely little feathers as against my dark hair, none of the detail would show up. Instead I just built up the tail by sticking the eyes directly onto the original feathers, building it out and up as I went. I like it. It's a little bit smaller than I imagined but with some flowers, it will make a stunning hair piece.

To go with: This corset top!
This top is built onto a torselet type top that was brown, so I covered the front in purple charmeuse and appliqued the cut out scallopy eyes onto it in a radiating pattern. Then I applied an extra piece to make a V at the bottom (nothing like making it up as you go along!) to which I'd added the purple and green fringing. The last touch is covering the fringing top with scallops.
It amuses me that this way up, the fabric says Peacock, but the other way up I think it would say Mermaid. 
The last piece, the duster jacket, was the first I made - I wore it out on Sunday. This is made from the fabric as it was, a shimmering wonder of peacock eyes. The trouble with sequin dusters though, is how easily you can look like "Valmay from Brizzy going to the RSL on a Friday night" i.e. just tasteless, not outrageous. So, I added the same purple with green fringe combo to the hem, and I still need to hand stitch the scallops to it. Currently pinned.
I suspect this outfit will be seen first in an out of town gig in July, however if I get called in to Emcee a show in Wellington before that, I know I am READY.
So, that leaves more encrusting of my current ringmaster's costume with recently acquired rhinestones along with a new sequin jacket for that, and another red sequin outfit from the piece I just received that is AWESOME too.
Oh, the bling. :)



13 comments:

  1. I love it. You know how to rock a stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I also aspire not to fall off one, so far so good ;-)

      Delete
  2. Is it a peacock? Is it a mermaid doing a headstand? No! It's Constance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordie, Constance doing a headstand would be about as unmermaidlike as you can get, so we'll go with that hehe

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Lime indeed, Rachael, with all that green heehee

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is totally GORGEOUS! And quite a labour of love, by the looks of it. I just found your blog, I love your style (and Constance's)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just too exquisite and gorgeous for words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all your fault - since blinging your costume I'm obsessed with sequins and crystals! :P

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! Such rich colours, they'll shimmer on stage :) Love the peacock headpiece :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Egads it is GORGEOUS, I love it. And, without the fringe I would totally wear that jacket out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm late to this, but oh my gosh, this is fantastic! No no, this is FABULOUS! Holy crap I love everything about this! The fabric is amazing (although I see what you mean about it looking mermaid upside-down) and the fringe is the perfect touch! And your hairpiece looks beyond awesome, I can't even!

    AAAHHH WAY TO GO!! I hope you'll share a photo of you wearing it sometime!

    ReplyDelete