Thursday, January 7, 2016

Constance's Latest Blingon

On Sunday I went out for brunch with a bunch of sewing bloggers, so lovely. I mused that maybe I should make a new costume for Constance's show on Wednesday night. So, on Sunday afternoon I was chomping through sequinned fabric, adapting my favourite maxi dress pattern.
Come Sunday night, we were here. The mannequin stand has lost its lock so it slides down to about 4 foot tall, hence the pooling fabric.
Now, I have this dress made up in a light, lined voile - it has quite a lot of fabric in it and I have been challenged to get my curves out. So, I sucked it up, if not in, and reduced the pattern's skirt panels until they barely skim my spanxed body.
I didn't line it as I have an all black under layer anyway, and it's cooler. It weighs a ton as it is! But I decided it needed a little something extra, so I made a fluted flounce out of coppery organza for the hem. We got to here by Monday night:
The flounce doesn't really show up, and I have already cut a wider one to add.
So, I showed this photo to the bloggers and they were all WOW!! AMAZING! I showed it to Amanduh La, the Drag Queen in charge of the show, and she did a face, and said, "You can't wear that bolero with that dress" She offered to lend me one but I went home, looked at the offcuts, and made this:
I had enough fabric to make front and back, and I probably could have eked out the sleeves too but I wanted to have some fun. Some stretch net, flowers cut out of the fabric, sequin strips also cut from fabric and some Swarowskis in the flower centres. EASY.
The result?

 All put together on stage - well, on the floor level of the bar. The larger flounce will balance it better, and I may add small shoulder pads to the shoulders but overall I am stoked! It is very heavy and moves like a dream.
Here I am, with Amanduh La (left) and PollyFilla (centre). I adore the gals- they are so professional and super uncompromising about everything - costumes, make up - and I love the challenge of it all!
Now in this red dress, for some reason all the photos have given me that slightly Essex tan look - like a Twistie. So here is one last pic proving that I was quite normal in person!
The black bolero got its moment in the glory after all ;-) I will blog about this costume soon.

Happy shiny things!!!




10 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. C.,
    Oooh, you ARE having fun. Did you sing that evening? I've not seen a bolero with see-through sleeves before and it's great! In NZ practically midsummer, maybe a necessity, too.

    Hugs from where it's definitely not summertime,
    Natali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I sang two numbers. The gals sync of course, as drag queens mostly do, and it was a really great combo. In the red dress I sang Madonna's Lament, and in the peacock job I sang Collapse, Relax, Perhaps. None of which means much until I get more video to share ;-) Stay warm in Kentucky xo

      Delete
  2. That's a super dress. It looks fabulously sparkly. I like the bolero. The flowers are a nice touch. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MOR! I love cutting up fabric and remaking it like that :)

      Delete
  3. Nothing like dress heavy with sequins to make one feel divine. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the kind of thing Oscar Wilde would have said, don't you think?

      Delete
  4. Aw darn, looks like blogger ate the comment I left yesterday. :(

    But that's okay because NOW I CAN SHOUT ABOUT HOW FANTABULOUS THIS IS AGAIN!!! You HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK on this dress. It's stunning and looks so lovely and every good descriptor possible and that jacket is absolutely perfect AND YOU LOOK SO GORGEOUS, I can't even explain. Honestly, this is one of the best dresses I've ever seen someone make, hands down! You win, the rest of the internet can now go home. :D Seriously awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! High Five! Heather even if I didn't win the Internet, your comment must have! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. OMG your dress is beautiful. The stage photo is beautiful, all worth it I recon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra! Last night at our production meeting I got told to edit, and I agree having seen the pics, losing the red ostrich headpiece and moving the corsage flower into my hair, no necklace and I think the whole thing will look more elegant and less Mumsy. Which is always a balancing act for maximalists like me!

      Delete