Saturday, June 11, 2016

Rest and recovery

Well over the long weekend last week, I:
  • officiated a funeral (Fri)
  • worked (Sat)
  • stepped in to stage manage a burlesque show, in drag of course (Sat night)
  • attended a celebration for a friend who just got her permanent residency, yay!!!(Sunday arvo)
  • judged Capital Drag, in drag (Sunday night) plus extras
  • hosted a bunch of stellar sewing bloggers for a sesh watching episodes 1 and 2 of TGBSB (Monday arvo)
  • attended a sewing bee Monday evening)

Caburlesque Seven Deadly Sins - me as a stage managing Devil, Sadie von Scrumptious the divine EMCEE as her absolutely slayingly sexy self! 
 
The Judges at Capital Drag. Debbie, me, Bernard and Ma Ma Deziyah. We got the best views of a fab show and were lit by the lamp I refurbished for Ivy
 
What a fantastic weekend of celebrating everything good in life - family, friendships, shows, sewing!
I bet you are wondering what Plus Extras means. Well, you see...
After Capital Drag finished at 11.30, I decided to walk home. The Ivy Bar is at the far end of the big street from the end I live just off of,  so it's really only about a 1k walk and although I live in the city, it IS the kind of city this gal in a sequinned dress can walk the streets of without feeling in danger. However, it IS winter here, and after a block I am thinking, IT'S COLD, WHY am I doing this?? Not a cab to be seen, I blame Uber for that one. Then I remembered my other favourite bar, S&M, was only a half a block away. (This stands for Scotty and Mal, the proprietors of this fine establishment, not the more traditional meaning, to be clear about the kinds of bars I frequent ;-) ).
As I plunged into its warm and noisy interior, I could see that Karaoke was on, and when a fully made up and dressed drag mamma arrives at a gay bar during Karaoke, it is only polite to sign up for a number. So, I got up and did That ole Devil Called Love, and enjoyed watching a very cute young man in a divine red blazer nail a Frank Sinatra standard. Hmm, I thought, I wonder if he would like to do a duet? Yes, he would, especially as he felt our chosen outfits co-ordinated so perfectly. And so we called up Cheek to Cheek!

and here is a screen dump of a video taken of this nutcase moment! Sammy's interpretation of Cheek to Cheek being fairly obvious from this pic!
Any Dr Who fans who are having a "I know that face" moment, yes it is Samuel Anderson who played teacher Danny Pink in Peter Capaldi's first outing as the Dr. He was in town for Armageddon and was a real charmer and lots of fun and great to sing an impromptu duet with.
I can't share the video as Scotty is having trouble working out how to share it beyond just me, but we'll get there I am sure! 
So I finally got home at 2.30am, having spread my glittery self comprehensively across my 'hood, and THAT is the reason for the title of this post.
After this big weekend, I was absolutely pooped. Too many late nights, possibly a bit too much pinot noir (although not that much really) and the consequent lack of sleep, I really needed down time.
Thanks to amazing staff, I got too take two afternoons off this week, and on Friday, I woke up at 5am, by 8.15 I realised I wasn't going to make it and went back to bed for three hours. Finally started feeling awake again. :)
But I did not sleep through those afternoons, no sirree. I used them to get my many and varied costume and act requirements underway. 
So, I am feeling better, I have got it clear in my head how to make and create all the things I need for my various acts, which had been bugging me, and now I just have to knuckle down and make it all happen. I have a show every weekend from now until end of August, many requiring new acts! 
Wish me luck and more afternoons off!




8 comments:

  1. What were you wearing at the funeral.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you that it did not involve sequins.

      Delete
  2. Don't know if I would describe your itinerary as relaxing but it really does sound like a lot of fun (apart from the funeral although you never can tell). I love the thought of you haunting the midnight streets in full on sparkle and as for the karaoke, well we are all huge Dr Who fans in this house so it sounds like a blast. Plus, sewing!! You are the living embodiment of "Living life to the full" . :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool!! And what a weekend! Sounds like great fUn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! New projects to dig into after a whirlwind of sequins and play. I wish I could stop into a bar when I feel cold - hahaha!! I'd be the one under the counter. You have really been making the rounds, but I hope you get more time off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish. After the horrendous events of this past weekend in Orlando, our community is getting into action, fundraising for survivors, and that means two more shows in fortnight where I have two shows already. Worth it though!

      Delete
  5. I do wish you all the luck with your performances. Say, is it just the amount of sequins that make you so much more fabulous than me?

    ReplyDelete